Thursday 9 July 2009

Stay away

Well I think looking for work has to be put on hold, I've been told I will not be asked back until the recessions has lifted, because simple put they are out to find work for the unemployed.

So I will blog about everything any anything. One minute we are being pushed into Jobs that are at best stupid, window cleaning from a wheelchair the young Lady who suggested I can be used to get work because people would feel sorry for me. Another idea! I would get a grant to become a Taxi driver self employed , Labours new push now is getting us to go self employed.

Done it, did not like it, and will not be doing it again, last year I had a benefits review and if I was to start work I would be £25 a week worse off unless I worked a full week..

So what shall I talk about on a blog I had hoped would show how much work we put into looking for work, sadly we are still sending off application forms, sending emails, we have formed a group in which we can help each other.


So why can I not find work, well for some time now the area in which the disabled were sent to work has been the NHS, now you must be able to beat the non disabled to the job by showing you can actually do it. Second they are looking for well educated people who can be trained to fit into the jobs and actually work at it. But the fact is how many disabled nurses in wheelchairs do you see, if a nurse gets a bad back she is normally gone she retires.

How many Police officers do you see in wheelchairs soldiers traffic wardens, not many I bet, so what are the job for the disabled, well in the main it's picking up litter, sitting in a wheelchair in Asda calling out the cheap deals, or standing or sitting in the back ground doing little or nothing worth talking about.

I went for a job and nearly got in at a well known large building suppliers, they wanted somebody to tell people about buildings, being a building foreman for many years it suited me. They asked me questions about footing, regulations for knocking down a partion wall, about knocking down a main holding wall, I answered the lot, was told ok you have the job, only to be told two hours before starting they found somebody better. I later found out they had employed a Polish lad who could not speak English, it was felt he would fit in better, since people might feel uncomfortable speaking to somebody in a wheelchair.

I get this a lot.

3 comments:

Charlie Marks said...

Wow. That must've hit you hard. Glad you're still blogging, mind.

On this self-employed business, I wonder whether there'd be any possibility of setting up some kind of cooperative with other people in your position? Just a thought. Who knows, you could then put a bid in to run a scheme to help disabled people find work! ;-)

Robert said...

We had spoken to the Job center about that, but it was dropped after being told about the preferred bidding process. We were told Labour had already had it's bidders the American company was the main contractors with the rest being sub out.

In my area we have Remploy and the Shaw trust, I've been with Remploy for a number of years, and they have found myself and others sod all, except training programs, like how to do up a tie, how to sit in a wheelchair, how to speak to people, I've done them all I'm now doing the same course for a second and third time. Even thought I said it myself I can talk the legs off a donkey about disability.

The contracts for the jobs center have now all been given out.

as I say we knew a long time ago who would get it.

Bertie Humbug's Ranto-O-Matic said...

That's complete B/S that the Polish guy got the job.

1. He shouldnt be here anyway
2. Surely it is illegal to discriminate on the grounds of disability when the candidates disability is irrelevant to the job in question. You should sue their arses.